Billy's Blog

To post pictures and other goodies for free on the net.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Utah, United States

Born in Kapiolani Children's Medical Center, just a few blocks from Waikiki. Graduated from Kahuku High School. Rode BMX Freestyle for most of my life (more than 20 years), now my 8 year old son is ripping up the skate parks, but plans on getting drafted by the SeaHawks as a WR.

Sunday, September 20, 2009

"Confirm Setting Cookie" Dialog workaround

I noticed with the new install of FireFox 3.5 that the ability to work behind a "Confirm Setting Cookie" dialog has been lost. FireFox has made this dialog "modal" meaning that if you see one of these dialogs you are locked into answering the question before FireFox lets you do anything else.

I use an addon called CookieSafe (specifically CS-Lite, a bare bones version of CookieSafe) to manage my cookies. In FireFox 3.0, I would allow cookies globally for a few sites then disable them after I set to allow those sites. Sometimes I would leave it on "Allow Cookies Globally" and then go to a site I didn't need a cookie. Sometimes it is easy to decide, and I click "Deny". But other times I am not sure if it is a legit 3rd party cookie and don't want to confirm or deny so I will just close that particular dialog only to have it followed by the same exact dialog, but I am not given enough time to switch CS back to "Deny Globally" before another pops up. Some sites will ask you infinitely to allow the cookie before doing anything. In the older versions of FireFox this was not a big issue because I could just go down to CS and switch the settings. But with the "New and Improved" FireFox you can not do anything until you have answered the dialog. SUPER IRRITATING!!

Here is the workaround:
Open up a second FireFox window and switch CS in that second window. Close that new window, then go back to the first one and you will see that CS is switched there too. Now, just close the dialog and continue with your business.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home